Saturday, February 9, 2013

To bike or not to bike?

 My cousin Eva asked when I am going to get a bicycle. I've been tempted to get one, but have not done so. And it's going to look really wimpy to the folks back home in East Lansing when I tell you why: the weather. Clearly I lack the skills of the locals, who have mastered controlling their bikes with one hand and their umbrellas with the other. 

But it's not the rain. It's the snow. Not like American-Midwest feet of snow, or the Eastern Seaboard's Snowmageddon. And here, no matter what the weather turns into to, it seems only to last a few minutes, anyway. 

This morning at 7:30, for instance, looked like this.


I took a video of the snow falling behind the apartment (for Californians who rarely see such wonders), too.

None of this is all that bad. But I think bridges over canals that get covered in ice and slush, like this one, could be my undoing:

I'll wait a little longer to get a bike.

1 comment:

  1. A bicycle would clearly be your undoing. On the other hand, a motorcycle with snowtires might be the best of all possible worlds.

    ReplyDelete